The History of Kidderminster Town Hall
Amidst the economic depression of the 1830s and following the proposals of Robert Lowe, Kidderminster’s Member of Parliament, a Committee was formed and a company called ‘Kidderminster Public Rooms’. This was the beginning of Kidderminster Town Hall as we know it today.
The Company was funded from shares amounting to £5000 and a donation of £900 from William Brinton allowed for the purchase of the land. A Wolverhampton firm was commissioned to design the public rooms – these were to be used for meetings, concerts, lectures and assemblies with a convenient exchange for the sale of grain seeds, malt hops and other produce.
There were two main rooms – their names derived from their likely uses – the Corn Exchange and the Music Room and in 1855 both rooms were officially opened and the opening of the Music Room, with its impressive William Hill organ, was commemorated with a grand festival involving artists of national repute.
In 1875 the property was sold to the local Corporation (Authority). On land adjoining the rooms a new building was erected in a similar style to house Municipal offices and a Police Station with rooms to include a Mayor's Parlour, Council Chamber and Law Courts with offices and cells. The Mayor of Kidderminster at the time laid a foundation stone for this new building and placed under it a time capsule which contained copies of local newspapers and the names of J.P’s, councillors, builders and architects, to date the time capsule has still not been located.
After a new Police Station was erected at Blakebrook the Council had access to the whole building and it was decided to bridge the two original buildings and this enabled the creation of the King Charles Room.
The William Hill Organ
One of the first in the country, and one of the few remaining, the much admired organ was built by William Hill and Co of London for a cost of £826. The organ and the Music room as a whole were inaugurated in October 1855 with a two day festival featuring many renowed musicians. Find out more about the William Hill Organ.
The Mouseman Furniture
The table and chairs set in the King Charles Room, carry the artist’s signature mouse, carved into a leg of each of the chairs. The table was manufactured in the late 1920s and bears the town’s crest as well as a mouse. Find out more about the Mouseman Furniture and it's recent restoration.